Application and guidance

Please use the correct Police service address: All Babergh and Mid Suffolk District licence applications must be served to the Chief Officer of Police at Landmark House  - whether it is a TEN, full premises application, variation, DPS change, transfer etc. The address you need is: Police Licensing Team, Landmark House, 4 Egerton Road, IPSWICH IP1 5PF

All form are available at the Home Office website

The service address you need for Environmental Health is Environmental Protection (TENS), Corks Lane, Hadleigh, IPSWICH, Suffolk IP7 6SJ

Remember - TENS should preferably be given at least 28 days before your event begins, including sending a copy to the Police and Environmental Health at the addresses above, to avoid any last minute issues over incorrect service. The fee remains £21. It is the Notice-giver's responsibility to ensure that payment is made promptly, and the Licensing Team can not chase individuals to seek payment. Non-payment will result in TENs not being processed and accordingly licensable events may not be authorised in time.

Licensing reforms implemented from 25 April 2012

From 25 April 2012 key reforms made significant changes to the Licensing Act 2003. These include amendments to the Temporary Event Notice (TENS) system, doubling of the fine for underage sales, responsibility authority status for Licensing Officers and removal of the 'vicinity' test for representations. Also the Primary Care Trust is now a responsible authority and should be served with copies of premises licence and club applications.

Premises (application for NEW)
DPS Consent Form only

Qualification changes for new personal licence applicants

From 1st April 2011 the accredited qualification for personal licence applicants will be changing to the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF) BIIAB Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (APLH). Please note that applicants may still produce a NQF BIIAB Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (NCPLH) with a new personal licence application. The core content of both qualifications is the same.

Important Information on Mandatory Conditions for Licensees and Members Clubs

Important changes were implemented from April 2010 affecting all premises licences or club certificates with an ON sales/supply permission. Read more by clicking the link below:

Mandatory Conditions 2010: Summary for Licence/Certificate holders

For more guidance, advice and assistance

The Licensing Team has produced the following documents for guidance and information. Please click on the relevant link to access the information your require.

Guidance on Licensing Act 2003 including April 2017 changes guidance alcohol-licensing

Contact details and service addresses for Responsible Authorities   All the contact addresses (including email and telephone) for correctly serving your application. Also includes a 'Top Tips' guide for preparing your application.

Temporary Event Notices - A standard Temporary Event Notice (TEN) must by law be received by the Licensing Team, Environmental Protection (also Babergh) and the Police a minimum of 10 working days before the event (not counting the day of the event or the day the notice is received). Please apply in good time to avoid disappointment as the Authority has no power to accept applications giving less notice. Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays and Good Friday are NOT counted as working days. Failure to correctly serve your Notice - on the Licensing Authority, Environmental Team or Police - will invalidate it.

Personal Licence Guidance Pack
Details and guidance on what you need to apply for a personal licence.

Personal Licence Holder Fact Sheet
Important facts to remember once you hold a personal licence.

Personal Licence holder - notify a change of name or address

If you hold a personal licence, failure to notify a change of address or name change is normally an offence. Download this form to help you correctly notify relevant changes.

'Minor Variations' under the Licensing Act 2003 
A summary of the changes made to the law in July 2009 for the benefit of existing premises licence and club certificate holders. 'Minor' changes to licences may be made under these streamlined procedures but only where the licensing objectives would be unaffected.

Plans Guidance Document

Help with providing an acceptable and compliant plan of your premises with your application.

Fees for Licensing Act 2003 Applications and Notifications 
The fees for each type of licence or notice are set by Central Government. Payment by credit or debit card is acceptable - please contact the Licensing Team who will be happy to assist you pay by this method. Annual fees can also be paid by credit/debit card.

Community DPS Disapplication Guidance
Guide for managers of 'community premises' that sell alcohol on changes to the law allowing disapplication from usual DPS/personal licence conditions.

Community role in licence applications

If you require full details about a specific application in progress please contact the Licensing Team. Any relevant comments you make will be part of a public record, including your name and address, and you will be party to the public hearing (if a hearing is necessary). The press may attend/report contentious cases.

PRS for MUSIC Licensing
PRS licensing is separate from any permission obtained under the Licensing Act 2003, and is NOT administered by Babergh District Council. Please contact the Performing Rights Society via the link above to see if you need a PRS licence. Permission is normally required for any public performance of live or recorded music, and from radio/television broadcasts and online media.