click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Benefits > Universal Credit

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new, single payment for working age people who are looking for work or on a low income.

Universal Credit is being introduced gradually over the next 2 years. In Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils, Universal Credit started on 28 September 2015 and it will replace:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit (*see note below regarding Council Tax Reduction)
  • Income based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit


Work and Universal Credit

With Universal Credit, there are no limits to the number of hours that you can work. Your credit payment will reduce gradually as your own earnings increase so you won't lose all your benefits at once if you are on a low income.

A new website has been set up by the Department for Work and Pensions providing advice and tips about finding and applying for jobs. It offers practical help about how to create a CV and offers advice directly from employers and recruiters. Visit the website by following the link: Daily Job Seeker


Where can I get more information about Universal Credit and what it means for me?

To find out more about Universal Credit, whether you are eligible and how to claim it, you can use the app:


A map showing free Wi-Fi and public computer locations across Babergh and Mid Suffolk:



  • Go online to Money Advice Service, Universal Credit
  • Access the 'looking local' channel on Sky channel 539 and then press the red button
  • Access the 'looking local' channel on Virgin channel 233 and then press the red button (or you can choose 'home/interactive/sports/news and info/looking local')
  • Access 'looking local' from your internet capable games console
  • Access 'looking local' on Facebook


Universal Credit information for landlords

The Department for Work and Pensions has created two guides to help landlords understand how Universal Credit will effect them and what safeguards are in place:

The Money Advice Service also has information for landlords, visit their website at: Money Advice Service, what you need to know if a tenant is claiming universal credit

Universal Credit contact details

Universal Credit website


Council Tax Reduction Scheme

To find out if you can get help with paying Council Tax, visit our Make a claim page and use the online calculator to see if you qualify.


Further information

For more information on Universal credit, please watch the videos below: