click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply hd


report hd


pay hd


Home > Business > Licensing > Riding establishments

Riding establishments

A licence is required before anyone can let a horse, pony or donkey out for hire (including pony parties and riding instruction).

This is designed to ensure the welfare of the animals and the suitability of their accommodation.

A licence may only be issued (or denied) by the Local Authority following an inspection and report by a veterinary surgeon who is a member of the RCVS/BVA Inspectorate.

The vet will be chosen and appointed by the local authority. The cost of the vet's inspection will be met by the applicant.

Licence Conditions

View Riding Establishment Licence Conditions

How long does a licence last?

A licence is usually valid for 12 calendar months.

Non-renewal of a licence before the expiry date may invalidate your public liability insurance.

A provisional licence may be issued for 3 months where considerable improvements to the premises are required.

Upon application before expiry of the provisional licence, the 3 month period may be extended for one further 3 month (maximum) period at our discretion.

In order to issue a full licence after a provisional licence, the vet that carried out the initial inspection must be satisfied that conditions have improved to warrant a full licence being issued.

Any such licence will be issued for the remainder of the 12 month period from date of issue of the first provisional licence.

Is planning permission required?

Applicants must ensure they have the relevant planning permission.

We recommend that you discuss your proposal with Planning Services.

How much does a licence cost?

Please see our current fees and charges.

How to apply

Riding School Application Form

What can I do if my licence application is refused?

Appeals against a decision not to issue a licence or against any conditions imposed must be made through the Magistrates Court.

Public Register

Trade Associations