click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Leaseholders > Structural alterations to property

Structural alterations to property

Your lease states you must ask our permission before carrying out structural alterations and additions to your home.

Examples of such work include:

  • replacing windows or external doors
  • installation of central heating
  • removing or building walls or chimney breasts
  • laying a driveway
  • building a conservatory
  • replacement of kitchen or bathroom

As well as getting our permission you may also need to get building control approval and planning permission from us.

If you make any improvements or alterations without first obtaining written permission you will be breaking the terms of your lease.

We may ask for you to put your property back to how it was or insist that the alteration is of an acceptable standard.

To apply for permission, write to:

Supported Living - Housing
Babergh and Mid Suffolk District Councils
Endeavour House
8 Russell Road
Ipswich IP1 2BX

You will need to state exactly what you want to do and include a drawing or a plan.  

Alternatively you can apply for permission, by following the link below:

Tenant or Owner Occupier Alteration Form

You are responsible for applying for planning permission or building regulation approval that may be necessary.   

Major works

From time to time we will need to carry out major work to the building or estate, which includes your flat or maisonette.

As a leaseholder you are, in most cases, legally obliged to contribute towards the cost of this work. As a local authority landlord we are required by law to recover appropriate contributions from you.

If there are any major communal or structural works required and individual contributions will be more than £250, leaseholders will be notified by way of a Section 20 Notice, as legally required.

You will be invoiced separately for any major works necessary to your block of flats.

Examples of major include:

  • repairs to or replacement of the roof, windows or communal areas
  • external decorating
  • painting of internal communal areas