click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Leaseholders > Subletting your leaseholder property

Subletting your leaseholder property

You can let out your flat and become a landlord, provided you let us know about it. 

If you have a mortgage you are advised to contact your mortgage lender before sub-letting. 

You must keep us up-to-date with all the details and any changes to those details.  You must ensure your tenants keep to the conditions of the lease as you are responsible for their actions. 

You will remain responsible for the payment of service charges and ground rent.  You are also responsible for the way your tenant behaves. 


Your responsibilities as a landlord

Gas safety

If you rent out your flat and it contains a gas appliance (such as a fire or boiler), the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations Act 1994 applies to you.

You must make sure the flat and its appliances are safe.

Appliances that burn gas, coal or oil can produce carbon monoxide if they have not been fitted properly or services regularly.

Carbon monoxide is a gas that is poisonous. Every year about 40 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by faulty gas appliances.

Carbon monoxide can be difficult to detect because you cannot see, taste or smell it. You can also confuse the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning with those of other illnesses.

It is recommended that you have a carbon monoxide alarm in your property to warn you of any leaks that may occur.

By law, if you sub-let your property you must have your gas appliances checked for safety at least once a year. Any faults must be repaired by a registered gas installer. If you don't you could be prosecuted.

You can get more help and advice from British Gas.


Energy Performance Certificates

The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) gives a rating for a building's energy efficiency, which provides prospective tenants or buyers with information about how energy efficient a property is that they are considering to rent or buy.

If you are planning to let your flat or there is a change of tenant you must provide your tenant with an EPC.  EPC's are valid for ten years and can be used as many times as required within that period. 

An EPC is not required for any property that was occupied before 1 October 2008 which continues to be occupied after that date by the same tenant. 

The Department of Communities and Local Government has produced a guidance leaflet available online


Other advice and support

There is more advice for landlords within our Advice for private landlords and tenants section