click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Mutual Exchanges and Transfers

Mutual Exchanges and Transfers

A mutual exchange is where a council or housing association tenant exchanges properties with another tenant. It can be a good way to find a bigger or smaller home, or to move to another area.

A transfer is where a council or housing association tenant registers for a move via the housing register, if their current home no longer meet the needs of the household eg size, area, disability or choice.


How to find an exchange

You could find an exchange through any of the following, word of mouth, personal advertising, social media. The internet has become a popular way of finding an exchange.

To help find a match for the home and area you want, you can register online and search for an exchange partner using House Exchange.

House Exchange has people registered across the country looking for exchanges and also specialises in three way exchanges- helping you find the home you are looking for. If you wish to register on the House Exchange website please use the form below:

Register for House Exchange


When you have found an exchange

When you have found someone you would like to exchange homes with you must complete the online application form below. Please ensure all parties in your exchange complete the online application form via this website. Once all completed forms have been received we will confirm within forty two days if the exchange can proceed.

Please note that you must have written permission from your Local Authority or Housing Association landlord before exchanging with another tenant.

Apply for a Mutual Exchange


Transfer scheme

If you wish to transfer to another property you can apply to join the Gateway to Homechoice, housing register. For full details and the online application visit:

Gateway to Homechoice