click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply hd


report hd


pay hd


Home > Housing > Our tenants > Repairs & improvements - your responsibility

Repairs & improvements - your responsibility

If the fault is found to be an appliance owned by the tenant, the cost of the call out and repair will be charged to the tenant.

Report a repair 

To report a repair, visit our Report a Repair webpage 

Some things you are responsible for maintaining and repairing in your home:

  • Decorating the inside of your property
  • Ventilating your property to avoid excessive condensation and damp
  • Replacing glass if damage has been caused by your or someone in your home
  • Replacing locks and keys if keys have been lost, stolen or damaged 
  • Renewing door handles, hinges and latches on inside doors
  • Toilet seats
  • Sink and bath plugs
  • Gas leaks on your own appliances
  • Smoke detector batteries
  • Fuses to appliances or replacing lamps or bulbs
  • Replacing lost or damaged wheelie bins (more information can be found on our Bins webpage)
  • Keeping the property free from vermin 
  • Television, telephone and IT connections and aerials 
  • Keeping waste clear in sinks, wash basins, baths, showers and toilets
  • Keeping grates, grids, drains and gullies clean and clear
  • Cookers (gas or electrical), connection and other appliances such as washing machines, dishwasher and tumble dryer 
  • Your garden 

It's very important to use properly qualified workers when carrying out your own repairs. Failing to do so can lead to expensive and even dangerous mistakes. 

To find out what our responsibilities are, visit Repairs and Improvements – our responsibilities page 


Right to carry out improvements to your home

If you want to make alterations to your home, you must get permission from us first. To seek permission, you must complete a Tenant Alteration Form. Find out more about the alterations process.

Examples of changes that need permission are floor surfaces other than carpet, central heating, fitting a shower, putting up a shed or building a garage.

When you apply, we will give you a decision within 20 days. We will not refuse permission unless there is a good reason.

Contents insurance

It is your responsibility to ensure you have appropriate contents insurance for your own personal belongings.

We have joined together with Thistle Tenant Risks to offer you home contents insurance at an affordable rate. The insurance will:

  • Cover fire, theft, flood, water damage and other household risk
  • Cover lost or stolen keys
  • Freezer contents
  • Accidental damage to fixed glass in doors and windows

For more information contact Thistle Insurance on 0845 601 7007 or it may be cheaper to call 01628 586187 from a mobile. You can also email Thistle Insurance

For further information, see the Crystal Insurance Scheme website