click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Housing > Private landlords and tenants > Complaints about housing conditions

Complaints about housing conditions

We investigate housing conditions in the private sector primarily at the request of occupying tenants.

The service aims to investigate a whole range of housing-related complaints from minor problems through to very serious and complex issues.

We have legal powers, and in some circumstance a legal duty, to take action to secure improvements where the housing conditions fall short of the required standard. The potential actions range from giving advice, to informal action through to serving legal notices, or in some cases closing or securing the demolition of the property.

Housing conditions that we will investigate can include:

  • Asbestos and manufactured mineral fibres (MMF)
  • Biocides
  • Carbon Monoxide and fuel combustion products
  • Collision and entrapment
  • Crowding and space
  • Damp and mould growth
  • Domestic hygiene, pests and refuse
  • Electrical hazards
  • Entry by intruders
  • Ergonomics
  • Excess cold
  • Excess heat
  • Explosions
  • Falls associated with baths, etc
  • Falls associated with stairs and steps
  • Falls between levels
  • Falls on the level
  • Fire
  • Food safety
  • Hot surfaces and materials
  • Lead
  • Lighting
  • Noise
  • Personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
  • Radiation
  • Structural collapse and failing elements
  • Uncombusted fuel gas
  • Volatile organic compounds
  • Water supply for domestic purposes
  • Where significant and serious hazards are found to exist (termed category 1 hazards), the Council has a duty to take action.
  • Shared accommodation including bedsits

Some people live in shared accommodation, bed-sits, self-contained flats, hostels or lodgings, and apart from the standards listed above, there may be additional provisions that apply to means of escape and fire protection, as well as overcrowding.

Make a Complaint about housing conditions