click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply hd


report hd


pay hd


Home > Housing > Private Sector Housing Grants > Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities Grant

A Disabled Facilities Grant is used to provide for the special needs of disabled people - installing stair lifts, level access showers and other alterations to help those with disabilities enjoy easier access and mobility around their homes.

A Disabled Facilities grant is subject to:

  • A needs assessment by an Occupational Therapist and consultation with Social Care Services
  • A test of income and resources (means test)
  • The adaptation(s) being practicable and the most appropriate way to meet the person’s needs rather than an alternative such as moving to new accommodation
  • A maximum grant limit of £30,000

Grants may be awarded to those living in owner-occupied or privately rented properties. The Council carries out adaptations to their own stock.

Works typically funded include:

  • Access to the property
  • Installing ramps and paths 
  • Widening internal and external doorways 
  • Installing stair-lifts 
  • Provision of a level access shower and accessible WC and wash basin

Will I have to make a contribution?

A contribution may be required towards the cost of the works. This depends on the financial circumstances of the disabled person and his or her family within the household as determined by a means test.

If the contribution is higher than the cost of the works, no grant will be awarded, although you may wish to continue with your application in case further adaptations are required in the future. If the contribution is lower than the cost of the works, the grant awarded will be calculated by deducting the contribution from the cost of the works. In the event that you do not have to find a contribution you will receive a grant to meet the full cost of the eligible works (subject to the maximum grant limit of £30,000).

Where a disabled person and their partner are in receipt of income support, pension guarantee credit, housing benefit, tax credits with an income of less than £15,050 or income-based job seeker's allowance, they will not have to make a contribution. No means test is applicable to grants when the work is for the benefit of a disabled child.

What is the maximum grant available?

The maximum grant is £30,000.

Will I receive any other help?

Applicants for a Disabled Facilities grant may be eligible for assistance with their application from the Orbit East Homeworks service. The Private Sector Housing team will be able to provide more information about this service, which aims to help with the completion of forms, producing plans, finding reputable builders, generally representing the interests of the client, and so on. Their fees are normally eligible for payment as part of the grant.

If you do not elect to use the services of the Home Improvement agency, you may choose contractors to estimate for the work and need to provide two estimates. Upon completion, the grant is normally paid direct to the builder.

Should the works require planning permission, building regulation approval or listed building consent, the grant cannot be approved until these applications have themselves received approval.

You should not start work until your grant has been approved. Grant aid will not be made available for any works that have commenced irrespective of whether the work is eligible for grant.

How do I apply?

Social Care Services (Suffolk County Council) should be contacted by calling 0808 800 4005 in the first instance for an assessment by an Occupational Therapist. They will then make a recommendation in respect of any work considered necessary for the disabled applicant directly to the Council.

The person for whose benefit the work is to be carried out must be registered (or able to be registered as) disabled.