click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Planning > Planning Enforcement > High Hedges

High Hedges

If you are having difficulty with the height of a neighbours hedge, advice and guidance is available on how to resolve a high hedge dispute.

A leaflet called Over the Garden Hedge is available from Communities and Local Government giving advice on how to settle your hedge differences without involving the Council. Please note that the 'Useful contacts' section of the leaflet is not up to date, with at least one organisation (Mediation UK) no longer in operation.

The process outlined in the above leaflet must be attempted before a report can be made to the Council.

If none of the advice and methods of mediation in the above leaflet is successful, you might be able to ask the Council to step in.

Please read the leaflet High Hedges: Complaining to the Council for more information, and to find out if the Council can consider your report.

If you are satisfied that your report meets the legal tests which enable it to be investigated by the Council, you may complete a High Hedge Report.

A fee of £350 is applicable to high hedge reports, which must be paid with the completed form.

If, upon receipt of your enquiry and payment, we do not consider that your enquiry meets the criteria, we will issue a refund.

High Hedges Report