click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2


Home > Planning > Trees > Hedgerow regulations

Hedgerow regulations

You will need to seek permission to remove all or part of a hedgerow if it is on or runs alongside:

  • Agricultural Land
  • Common Land, including town or village greens
  • Land used for forestry or the breeding or keeping of horses, ponies or donkeys
  • A Local Nature Reserve or Site of Special Scientific Interest

The Hedgerows Regulations do not apply to any hedgerow within the curtilage of, or marking a boundary of the curtilage of a dwelling house.

The best way to apply for permission to remove a hedgerow is to do it online through the Planning Portal via the Planning Portal - Make an application page (unavailable at present). Here you can make your application entirely online by completing an electronic application form and attaching any plans and drawings (so long as they are in electronic format such as PDF, word or photo documents).

Making a planning application on-line is more cost effective, reduces waste, and has the added advantage of a built in check list to ensure (as far as possible) that your application will be valid on submission, i.e. that all the necessary accompanying documents will be submitted.

For more information on works to protected trees read the Planning Portal - How to apply page.

You may still apply for permission by using paper copies of the application form. 

Hedgerow Removal Notice application form