click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply 2


report 2


pay 2



A non-dependant is someone aged 18 years or over who lives with you. It does not include someone living in your home that has a legally enforceable agreement to pay rent to you or your landlord.

Examples of a non-dependant include a son, daughter or elderly relative.

Non-dependants and how they affect your claim

If any non-dependants live in your home, we normally have to reduce the amount of help you get. This is called a non-dependant deduction.

The amount of deduction made depends on how much gross income your non-dependant has and whether they are working over 16 hours a week.

By gross income we mean all the money they get including earnings (before tax and National Insurance is deducted), social security benefits and interest paid on savings. We will need to see original proof of the non-dependant's income and capital, for example payslips and savings pass books. If you don't show us original proof (i.e. not photocopies), we will deduct the maximum allowed.

Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment don't count as income.

Non-dependent deduction levels

 The non-dependant deductions change every April. You can view the current deduction levels in the PDF files below:

 You can view 2019-2020 deduction levels in the PDF files below:

Non-dependent couples

If the non-dependants living in your home are married to each other or living together as a couple, we add their incomes together and make one deduction.

Joint tenant or joint owner

If you share your home with a joint tenant or joint owner and a non-dependant lives in the home with both of you, we will take only half the normal non-dependant deduction.

When deductions are not made

Deductions are not made if you or your partner are:

  • Registered blind;
  • Receiving Attendance Allowance;
  • Receiving Disability Living Allowance (care component); 
  • Receiving Personal Independence Payment (daily living component).

Deductions are not made if the non-dependant adult living with you:

  • Is aged under 25 and receiving Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance;
  • Is aged under 25 and receiving Employment and Support Allowance in the assessment phase (first 13 weeks);
  • Receives a Youth Training Allowance;
  • Has been a hospital in-patient for more than 52 weeks;
  • Is a prisoner;
  • Is a student (although deductions will be made if they work during the summer vacation);
  • Usually lives elsewhere;
  • Receives Pension Credit.

Deferred deductions

Special rules apply for existing cases (not new claims) when the claimant or partner is aged 65 or over, and

  • A non-dependant moves into the household; or,
  • The income of an existing non-dependant increases.

In these circumstances the non-dependant deduction, or the increased deduction, will not take effect for 26 weeks.