Council Tax Reduction (low income)
Council Tax Reduction (CTR) helps towards paying Council Tax. It is now a local reduction scheme decided by local councils and is not a benefit payment.
Any CTR you are awarded will be shown on your Council Tax bill and will reduce the amount you have to pay.
You could receive help if you are on a low income, even if you are working. However, if you have more than £16,000 in savings or investments you will not usually qualify.
The reduction awarded will depend on:
- the amount you are liable to pay
- the needs of your family
- your income,
- your savings and
- anyone else living with you
From 1st April 2018, all people of working age who live in Babergh and Mid Suffolk will pay at least 5% of their Council Tax bill. This is regardless of their income.
Apply for Council Tax Reduction
If you do not have a reduction showing on your bill and you think you may qualify, you will need to submit an application. You can find out if you qualify for any Housing Benefit/CTR by using our calculator.
You do not have to use the Housing Benefit and CTR Calculator to make an online claim. However, if you do, the information you enter into it will automatically be saved into your online claim.
You can claim Housing Benefit and/or CTR online right now. If you wish to partially complete and save the form, then return to it at any time, you can.
For more information visit our Make a claim webpage
Council Tax Reduction Scheme details
Details of the CTR Schemes can be downloaded below:
The previous CTR Schemes can be downloaded below:
- Babergh CTR Scheme 1/4/21
- Babergh CTR Scheme 1/4/20
- Babergh CTR Scheme up to 31/3/20
- Babergh CTR Scheme up to 31/3/18
- Babergh summary of CTR Scheme changes 1/4/18
- Mid Suffolk CTR Scheme 1/4/21
- Mid Suffolk CTR Scheme 1/4/20
- Mid Suffolk CTR Scheme up to 31/3/20
- Mid Suffolk CTR Scheme up to 31/3/18
- Mid Suffolk summary of CTR Scheme changes 1/4/18
If you need more information visit our Benefits section