click for the homepage
mobile menu button

Contact Us

apply hd


report hd


pay hd


Resident discounts

The Council Tax bill assumes there are at least two adults living in the property.  If there is only one adult occupying the property as their main home, there is a 25% reduction. 

Apply for a Single Occupier Discount online

If you need to end your discount:

End your Single Occupier Discount online

All adults count for Council Tax unless they are:

  • 18 or 19 years old and at, or have just left school
  • A full-time student or a student nurse
  • A youth training trainee - under the age of 25, and on a government recognised youth training programme
  • An apprentice where the training leads to an accredited qualification and where the salary is no greater than £195 per week (gross) and less than what they would earn once qualified
  • Severely mentally disabled
  • A patient living in hospital permanently
  • Permanently being looked after in a care home
  • A care worker working for low pay (usually for a charity)
  • Caring for someone with a disability who is not their husband, wife or partner or child under 18
  • A member of a visiting force or certain international institutions
  • Staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • In prison (but not people in prison for not paying Council Tax or a fine)
  • A member of certain religious communities (for example, monks and nuns)
  • A foreign diplomat

Should you get a discount?

To find out, add up all the adults who live in your home, including yourself, then take off those who do not count for the Tax.  If this leaves one person who counts for the Tax, you should get a 25% discount. If no-one counts for the Tax, you should get a 50% discount.

Application for exemptions/discounts

Please remember that if your circumstances change, you must tell us within 21 days.  If you don’t, you may receive a fine.