In March 2020, the UK government postponed all elections scheduled for 7 May 2020. This was due to the current and emerging situation around COVID-19.
Elections, where contested, will be held on Thursday 6th May 2021 for the following areas:
- Suffolk County Council
- Suffolk Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC)
- Hadleigh Town Council (1 vacancy in Hadleigh North Ward and 4 in Hadleigh South)
- Horham Parish Council
- Long Melford Parish Council
- Polstead Parish Council
- Sudbury Town Council (Vacancy in Sudbury North Ward)
- Neighbourhood Planning Referenda (NPR)
Timetable of key events
- To vote in the election on 6 May 2021 your completed application to register must be received no later than 11:59PM on Monday 19 April 2021
- To vote by post in the elections on 6 May 2021 your completed form must be received by the registration office no later than 5PM on Tuesday 20 April 2021.
- If your application is received before the 6 April 2021 your ballot papers will be despatched on 22 April 2021.
- If your application is received between 6 April and 20 April 2021 you ballot papers will be despatched on 26 April 2021.
- To vote by proxy in the elections on 6 May 2021 your completed form must be received by the registration office no later than 5PM on Tuesday 27 April 2021.
|Candidates and Agents Briefing||Monday 8 March 2021||09:30-11:30am|
|Publication of Notice of Election||Thursday 25 March 2021|
|First day Nominations can be received||Friday 26 March 2021|
|Deadline for delivery nominations||Thursday 8 April 2021||4pm|
|Deadline for appointment of election agent||Thursday 8 April 2021||4pm|
|Publication of Statement of Persons Nominated||Friday 9 April 2021||Not later than 4pm|
|Deadline for receiving applications for registration||Monday 19 April 2021||11:59pm|
Deadline for receiving new postal vote and postal proxy applications, and for changes to existing postal or proxy votes
|Tuesday 20 April 2021||5pm|
Deadline for receiving new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies)
|Tuesday 27 April 2021||5pm|
|Deadline for notification of appointment of polling and counting agents||Wednesday 28 April 2021|
|First date that electors can apply for a replacement for lost postal votes||Thursday 29 April 2021|
|Polling Day||Thursday 6 May 2021||7am to 10pm|
- Candidates and agents briefing
- Register requests
- Nomination papers
- Postal voting
- Appointment of polling and counting agents
- The Count
Notices for Suffolk County Council Division in Babergh and Mid Suffolk and town/parish elections will be published on this site.
Suffolk PCC election notices will be available to view on the Police and Crime Commissioner website
To book a place on the candidates and agents briefing please email the elections team with the following details:
- if you are an agent or candidate
- if you are an agent, who you represent
- a contact telephone number
To request a copy of the nominations register please complete the online application form.
A Statutory Instrument has now been laid reducing the number of subscribers for local elections from 10 to 2.
Candidates and agents are encouraged to read the electoral commission guidance to support the completion of nomination papers.
Candidates and agents will need to book an appointment to submit nominations forms.
The returning officer and staff are unable to advise on the eligibility of a candidate.
To request a copy of the absent voters list please complete the online application form.
Electors who are postal voters on 6 April 2021 will have all relevant ballot papers despatched on 22 April 2021, any electors who apply for a postal vote after the 6 April and before the deadline will have the relevant ballot papers despatched on 26 April 2021.
Details of how to appoint polling and counting agents will be published in early 2021.
Details of venue and COVID-19 restrictions at the count will be provided at the candidates and agents briefing. They will subsequently emailed to candidates and agents following the close of nominations.
Thursday 6 May 2021
- At the close of poll ballots papers for all contests will be verified.
Friday 7 May 2021
- Contested Divisions for the Suffolk County Council election will be counted and declared
- Contested Parish Elections and NPRs will be counted
Saturday Day 8 May 2021
- Ballot papers for the Babergh and Mid Suffolk County areas of the PCC election will be counted
Candidates and agents are encouraged to read the electoral commission guidance with regards to providing expenses.
Please note: The returning officer and staff cannot provide guidance with regards to the campaign. Any concerns about the legality of a candidate’s campaign should be reported to the police.
For any queries that are not answered in this page please email the Elections Team