New tenants

This page contains some information that may help if you have recently moved into a Council property. 

Your tenancy agreement

Please read the terms and conditions within your tenancy agreement, which set out what we expect from you. They also say what you can expect from us as your landlord. 

How to pay your rent

As a council tenant, you must pay your rent on time.

Ways to pay your rent


Housing Benefit

You can make a claim for Housing Benefit online. If you already claim Housing Benefit, you will need to tell them of your change of address. 

Visit our Benefits section

If you decide to apply, or already receive Housing Benefit, you will need to submit a first night form in order to start your claim.

Download a first night form


Council Tax

When you move, you must tell us about your move.

Visit our Council Tax section


Repairs, improvements and planned maintenance

Find out who is responsible for what and how to report a repair


Tenant alterations

You must apply for our permission before making any changes to your home. 

Apply for landlord permission to make an improvement or alteration to the property


Utilities in your new home

You are responsible for telling gas, electricity and water providers that you have moved.

If you are unsure who your gas or electricity supplier is, contact UK Power Networks or call 0800 029 4285

You must take the meter readings on the day that you move into your property and provide these to your utility supplier.


Home contents insurance

It is your responsibility to insure your belongings, furniture or decorations.

Tenants Contents Insurance scheme


Landlord permissions

There are certain things you need landlord permission for:

  • Pets
  • Taking in a lodger
  • Keeping a vehicle, trailer or boat
  • Running a business from home
Apply for our permission


My Home online account 

My Home is a secure area for tenants to manage their account.  

Find out more and sign up 

You can also now login into your My Home Tenant Portal via your Facebook or Google accounts. 

Further information

For any other information regarding your tenancy, visit our Housing section

If you wish to speak with a Customer Services Officer, telephone 0300 123 4000