Private hire vehicle licences

Hackney carriages (taxis) and private hire vehicles (PHVs) are licensed in a similar way, but are subject to different conditions.

If you would like to drive a private hire vehicle, you can apply for a private hire vehicle licence.

Please note that the application process is the same for a new licence, for renewal, for a change, or transfer of vehicle.

Applications are not limited, and can be made at any time of year.

Alongside your application, you must submit your:

  • V5 registration book
  • a valid car insurance certificate
  • a valid MOT certificate
  • your radio equipment licence from OFCOM
  • your basic disclosure (if you are not already a licensed driver or operator)

We will check the tax status of your vehicle.

Nominated garages

Before we can grant you a licence, your vehicle must go through testing. The table below details our nominated garages within the district:

Name Address Telephone
Ainger Holbrows 115 High Street, Hadleigh, Ipswich, IP7 5EJ 01473 823286
Alpheton Garage Alpheton, Sudbury, CO10 2YG 01284 828737
Barrett-Lee Unit 3 Byford Road, Sudbury, CO10 2YG 01787 370774
Treadfirst MOT & Service Centre 4 Martins Road, Chilton Industrial Estate, Sudbury, CO10 2FT 01787 377342
Windam Garage 6 Windham Road, Chilton Industrial Estate, Sudbury, CO10 2FT 01787 372467

Plate exemption

If you drive a private hire vehicle and you undertake executive or corporate work, you can apply for plate exemption.

Applications for exemption must be made in writing, and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

If your application is granted, your plate must be carried in the boot of your vehicle at at all times.

Apply for a licence

If you would like to apply for a taxi licence, please email and request an application form.

Within your email, please state:

  • your name and address
  • your contact details
  • details of which taxi or PHV business you will be linked to, or work for