Bulky item collections
Bulky household items (for example, sofas, fridges, mattresses, furniture and TVs) can be taken to Suffolk Recycling Centres.
You may also want to think about donating items to local charity shops.
Alternatively, we can collect and dispose of large household items for you.
Items collected will either be recycled, or taken to the Energy From Waste Facility in Great Blakenham.
For the collection of bulky items from a non-domestic location, please visit our Business Waste webpage instead to find out how we can help.
Before you book
The following information details what you need to know about our bulky item collection service:
- For a one-off cost of £49.50, we'll collect up to five separate items. Or, up to ten bin bags of household refuse (general rubbish) and/or garden waste.
- We do not offer a house clearance service.
- Items must be easily accessible and placed where there is street access by 6.30am on your collection date.
- We cannot enter properties, garages, back gardens or sheds to collect items. We also cannot bring items up or down stairs.
- Items such as climbing frames, swings and trampolines must be dismantled before collection and are classed as one item.
- Carpet and underlay count as two separate items.
- Items must be empty. For example, fridge-freezers must not have any food left in them and wardrobes need to be free of clothes.
- Bookings, changes and cancellations must be made by midday on the working day before the scheduled collection date.
Items we can collect include:
- Beds & mattresses
- Electrical items, such as TVs
- Fridges & freezers (except American style fridge-freezers & items containing ammonia)
- Sofas & armchairs
- Tables & chairs
- Washing machines & tumble dryers
Items we cannot collect include:
- DIY waste, building materials, hardcore, rubble and soil - find information on how to dispose of these items at a Suffolk Recycling Centre
- Fixtures and fittings, including doors, baths, showers, toilets and basins
- Fridges or freezers containing ammonia
- Hazardous waste or asbestos – visit our Hazardous Waste webpage for more information
- Very large or heavy items, such as American style fridge-freezers, pianos & range cookers
- Waste in large/builders sacks
If you are unsure whether we can collect an item, please email Waste Services.
Items containing persistent organic pollutants (POPs)
New legislation has been introduced by the Environment Agency regarding the collection and disposal of waste containing persistent organic pollutants (POPs).
Therefore, if an item is ripped or damaged and contains or is made of any of the following materials:
- Synthetic leather
- Other fabric
...then it must be taped, wrapped, or bagged up, otherwise we will be unable to collect it.
Items this would apply to includes:
- Cushioning & beanbags
- Office style chairs with soft padding
- Sofas, armchairs, sofa beds & futons
- Stools, poufs & ottomans
- Upholstered furniture
For example, if a sofa is torn and the foam padding is exposed, then the tear would need to be taped over. Or, if a cushion is ripped open, then it would need to be contained in a bag / sack.
This is to help protect those collecting and disposing of the items.
Book your collection
Check availability and book a bulky item collection
Please note that collections start from 6.30am and we are unable to provide a specific time.
Change your collection
If you have already booked a bulky item collection and need to make any changes (or cancel the collection) please email Waste Services.
Any changes or cancellations must be made by midday on the working day before the scheduled collection date.