Flooding, sewers and drains

We do not respond to problems caused by surface water flooding. Suffolk County Council have published guidance about who you'll need to contact:

Report a flood in Suffolk

Sewers and drains

Drains and private sewers are the responsibility of the property owner.

Drains are considered private up until they meet the boundary of the property, or join a neighbouring sewer. Responsibility for maintenance and repairs rests with you (or the owner of the property).

Once beyond private boundaries, drains are considered to be public sewers. Public sewers are the sewerage company's responsibility. In our district, this is Anglian Water.

If those responsible for a private sewer do not arrange for the clearance of any blockage, we can serve a legal notice. If the notice is not complied with, we may carry out the works anyway and recover the costs from the property owner(s). However, it will normally be more economical for the owner(s) to arrange for the works to be carried out themselves.