Street trading

In Babergh, we have adopted Schedule 4 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982. This means that we control street trading within the district (with some exceptions).

Generally, there are no restrictions on street trading from mobile stalls and vehicles in most (but not all) of the district. However, this is subject to compliance with general road traffic and planning conditions, and food safety laws.

If you would like to trade in an unrestricted area, you should still seek permission from the local highways authority (in most cases, this will be Suffolk County Council). The public highway includes verges, public footpaths, pavements, roads and bridleways.

You should also seek permission from the owner of the land, and let the police know of your plans.

Market trading

We manage Hadleigh Market. If you would like to enquire about trading here, please email

We do not manage Sudbury Market - it is managed by Sudbury Town Council. Please email

Street trading restrictions

In some areas of our district, there are prohibitions or special restrictions on street trading. They include:

  1. Trading during the day in Sudbury's town centre is prohibited (except for licensed stalls on the two markets on Thursday and Saturday). Trading between 6pm and midnight is permitted on the Market Hill (subject to a Street Traders Licence). Contact Sudbury Town Council if you would like a pitch in the market on market days - there may be a waiting list
  2. Street trading is prohibited at Pin Mill, Chelmondiston
  3. Street trading between St. Catherines Road and the bridge in Hall Street, Long Melford is permitted only with our prior consent. Certain conditions and restrictions may apply to any consent given
  4. Trading on our half of the bridge which forms the boundary between Ipswich Borough Council and Babergh District Council at Wherstead Road, Ipswich is prohibited. 
  5. Exemption from street trading laws apply where a road closure order is in effect (for example, for a temporary market)
  6. Even if the street trading is to take place on 'private' land (for example, a private car park) it may still be prohibited or controlled for street trading, if the public have access to the area without making any payment
  7. Pavement permissions (i.e. a request to site tables and chairs for consumption of food and drink) outside premises on the public highway are the remit of our Licensing team

Failure to comply with local requirements may result in a fine of up to £1,000.